RSS

Category Archives: Projects

DIY Arm Knitted Infinity Scarf

Lately, I’ve added learning to crochet to my project list. It’s coming along. However, I’ve seen a great deal of these videos flying around about knitting on your arms. My friend Sylvia Lee said she wanted to try it, and so last night, we did! Neither of us have knitted before, but it seemed very familiar once we got started.

The videos say that this can be accomplished in 30-45 minutes. I cannot say that the first one went that fast. It took me about two hours start to finish. This included following the video end even becoming a little frustrated here and there. Once I get enough practice, I feel confident that I could finish the task much quicker.

We looked at a few videos (via Pinterest, of course) and settled on this one. Her work and hands were easier to see. Kurtz Corner Arm Knit DIY

This calls for a size 6 yarn. This is chunky for sure. The pattern calls for a width of twelve links. In the end, it’s a little more bulk than I like. Next time I make one, I’ll make it with 8 or 10 links.

This would be a great project for kids. Sylvia Lee’s 10 year old niece joined us and completed one herself. Hers was 8 links wide. On her second try, she completed it. I should mention also, that she is left handed. It worked just fine for her.

Here’s a picture of the finished product! I’m happy with it. Have you made one of these? How did it turn out? Share a link or picture of your finished product!

20140108-131339.jpg

 
1 Comment

Posted by on January 8, 2014 in Projects

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

Headlight Restoration

For quite some time now, my lights have not shown very far in front of me. All puns aside, my headlights have become so dim from years of use and lack of cleaning, that I was having difficulty seeing while driving at night. After doing some research on what to do about the problem, two options were given to me: replace the headlights or clean the surfaces of them. Not in the mood to spend a couple of hundred dollars for new lights, I opted to spend $23 and use some elbow grease.

Rarely dissuaded by a challenge, I gave it a go.

There were quite a few recommendations online for products that had a relatively good outcome. I’ve heard stories over the years about this process being totally useless and a waste of time. Not wanting that to happen in my case, I sought out the recommended products. Once in the store, I could not find the brand I was looking for. So, I ended up going with a mid-range priced brand- Meguiar’s. The kit comes with a 4 oz. bottle of cleaner/polish, a drill operated buffing pad, and reusable sanding pads. The option is given to go ahead and just polish and if that doesn’t work, use the sanding pads followed by the polish. Feeling very confident that I needed maximum restoration, I went ahead with the full process. I must say, it was a very easy process and took less than 30 minutes.

The pictures of my process are below. I am very happy with the outcome and can wholeheartedly recommend this product. I can actually see the road while driving at night!

20131213-142936.jpg

In the beginning- top half of light covers are very dull.

20131213-142951.jpg

Another view from the start. Supervisor, Willie, above.

20131213-143009.jpg

Terrible!

20131213-143049.jpg

20131213-143101.jpg

Grit 1 of 4 sanding. Couldn’t believe all of the grime coming off!

20131213-143111.jpg

After the first sanding. Noted difference already.

20131213-143122.jpg

After second sanding, grit 2 of 4

20131213-143138.jpg

After third sanding, grit 3 of 4.

20131213-143256.jpg

After the 4th and final sanding and the polishing.

20131213-143311.jpg

20131213-143322.jpg

What a difference!

20131219-194642.jpg

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on December 29, 2013 in Projects

 

Tags: , , , , ,

 
%d bloggers like this: